The Archdiocesan Commission for Catholic Schools (ACCS) was constituted by the Archbishop of Singapore as a body with public juridical personality in the Catholic Church in January 2005.
ACCS supports Catholic schools in Singapore in their mission of educating children in different aspects of human knowledge and developing in them moral and spiritual values enlightened by the Gospel as well as civic values for living in Singapore society and in the world.
To fulfil its mission the ACCS:
- makes and reviews policy in those matters relating to Catholic schools which require coordination and rationalization throughout the Catholic school system in Singapore. By so doing, ACCS ensures that the schools operate in harmony with the ideals of Catholic education as institutions dedicated to the growth of the whole person; and that they act in a unified way and truly reflect the distinctive character of Catholic education.
- audits the quality of education in all the Catholic schools of the Archdiocese to ensure that they fulfil their mission of providing a good and relevant education to all, and to help them be more effective in meeting the expectations of the Church, expectations shared by many families and students, that “the light of faith will illumine everything that the students learn about the world, about life, and about the human person”.
- assesses the changing needs of, and opportunities for, Catholic education throughout Singapore.
- ensures the continuity of appropriate leadership in the Catholic schools and Management Committees/Boards and other Catholic educational bodies.
- works closely with the congregational leaders of religious institutes involved in Catholic schools in Singapore, with the Christian community of the Archdiocese, with the Ministry of Education, and with other national bodies as deemed appropriate by ACCS so as to serve the needs of the schools.
With the support of ACCS, the Catholic schools in the Archdiocese will be better able to participate in the evangelising mission of the Church through their effective promotion of human development and progress in the spirit of the Gospel.
Every Catholic school, a beacon for formation.